Diego, California, Home Seller Fails To Disclose
Big Toxic Mold Problems To Texas Buyers
January 31, 2014, a couple, newly-arrived from Texas and now very ill from
living in high levels of toxic mold, learned in reading mold lab test
results of mold tests taken by Professional Industrial Hygienist and
Certified Mold Inspector Phillip Fry of EnviroFry that their
recently-purchased home in San Diego, California, is severely infested with
seller-undisclosed, advanced toxic mold growth throughout the home’s large
crawl space and in the heating/cooling equipment and ducts.
Through six indoor tests on Jan. 30th, Fry tested the crawl space mold, room
air, and the outward air flow from the heating/cooling air supply ducts. Lab
results reported high and dangerous mold levels (compared to the outdoor
mold control test) of several toxic mold species including cancer-causing
Aspergillus mold and Penicillium mold, both of which cause severe
respiratory and other mold health problems in mold victims exposed to
elevated levels of those mold species.
“Almost all of the wood timbers in the crawl space were encrusted with mold
growth that was likely to have been years in the making. The crawl space
masonry walls and the adjacent basement walls and floors were very wet, as
determined by widespread spot checking with my moisture meter,” reported Mr.
Fry, who is also a Certified Environmental Hygienist, Certified Mold
Remediator, webmaster since 1999 of the mold information website
and author of five mold advice ebooks available at
“A major building defect was the lack of adequate waterproofing of the crawl
space and basement walls and floors that enabled water runoff from
neighboring, higher-elevation home lots and the roadway to enter into the
crawl space and basement to drive mold growth,” added Mr. Fry who spent six
hours carefully investigating and testing the house and its surroundings.
“Many hundreds of thousands of California and other USA and Canadian homes
that are built on the sides or bottoms of hills have similar water intrusion
and advanced toxic mold growth, which often grows upward into the insides of
the floors and walls above,” warned Mr. Fry.
The home’s toxic mold problems have caused severe health problems for the
couple, such as memory loss, headaches, chronic tiredness, sinus problems,
and respiratory problems such as difficulty in breathing and frequent
coughing and sneezing. Five days ago the couple’s doctor recommend that the
couple move out, which they promptly did by moving into a nearby hotel.
“The couple told me that they will never return to the mold-contaminated
home and that they have hired an attorney to sue the home seller, realtor,
home inspector, and mortgage lender for the rescission of the home’s
$500,000 purchase price, as well as for medical damages, loss of
mold-contaminated furniture and possessions, and other compensatory and
punitive damages,” stated Mr. Fry.
“The couple told me that the real estate agent used air fresheners and a
burning candle to mask the home’s big mold smell during the couple’s visit
to the home for sale. In addition, the home seller had recently installed
new carpeting and laminate flooring to help conceal the house mold
problems,” reported Mr. Fry.
Mr. Fry recommends that prospective home buyers and rental tenants pay for
an independent and thorough mold inspection and testing of a home, condo, or
apartment for sale or rent before finalizing any purchase or lease
“Especially important is to mold test the air of the attic, living area,
basement, crawl space, and the outward air flow from heating/cooling duct
registers, as well as to look for evidence of water intrusion and both
visible and hidden mold growth,” recommended Fry whose nationwide firm
EnviroFry provides mold inspection, testing, remediation and prevention
To schedule a home purchase or rental unit mold inspection, contact Mr. Fry
or phoning toll-free 1-866-300-1616 or his cell phone 1-480-310-7970, or
visiting the EnviroFry website